Sunday, June 11, 2017

Father to Father at Gettysburg

This morning, before Day 3 of the CWI began, I took some quiet time to visit some places on the actual battlefield here in Gettysburg. I wanted to get out early before there were other people out and wanted to experience the quiet reflection time that offers.

My mission for the morning was to make a personal visit to old Gettysburg soldier that died here. It is a story I have read about and thought was interesting, but in my prior visits here before never felt obliged to visit. This morning I paid a visit to Amos Humiston, a SGT in the 154th New York Infanty who was killed in action on July 1, 1863. His body was found with no identification with the exception of a small ambrotyoe that he had clutched to his chest. The picture he had with him was of 3 young children but no other identifying characteristics. The image was published in Northern newspapers in the hope that someone would recognize the children and help figure out who he was. (At the time, the technology did not exist to reprint the ambrotype so the newspapers had to describe it...imagine how many responses they got). His widow ended up seeing the photo magazine, recognized the children, and then realized why she hadn't heard from her husband in months (this was now October 1863). The community took up the sad cause and sold copies of the photo and an orphanage was opened in Gettysburg a stones throw from where he is now buried.

Today I visited the spot where he was killed. There's a small stone marker there right next to the railroad tracks in the town of Gettysburg. As I stood there, I couldn't help but think about what was going through his mind as he sat there losing his life and looking at the image of his children. As a Father-to-be in August it moved me. I thought about all the things I would do for my future daughter and how much I would fight for her to live in a better world. That's exactly what he was doing. I can only imagine Amos wanted to fight so his children could grow up in a unified, strong, country that would be better than the one he grew up in. I connected that to today and how I would feel the need to volunteer if a major conflict ensued so my daughter could grow up in a world without evil

Later, I felt that it was equally important to go pay my respects to this American hero where he is buried in Gettysburg National Cemetery. I took the time to walk amongst the graves to find where he is buried. It was a moment that I felt I needed to do in order to complete the circle on my thoughts. After I found his grave, I placed a small American flag at his grave in order to thank him for the country that he helped preserve. A country that I love, with all it's faults, but also a country that people like Amos Humiston have fought to preserve and a country I will bring my daughter into it. It was a powerful, and moving experience.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Hidden History is Everywhere

 In class this week, my 8th grade students and I are discussing the period of Reconstruction and the missed opportunity to fix many of the p...